Print

Husbands Bosworth War Memorial was built by public subscription and unveiled at a Dedication Service by Lt. Colonel W. V. Faber, Royal Field Artillery, on Sunday, April 3rd 1921 at 3 o' clock.


The Service was conducted by The Venerable F.B. Macnutt, Archdeacon of Leicester (late Senior Chaplain to the Forces in the British Expeditionary Force) assisted by the Rev. Maurice Lamb, M.A. (Rector) and the Rev. R. A. Ellis.


The Memorial was repaired, 1939-1945 names added, and re-dedicated on Sunday, November 12th 1950 by the Rev. H. O . Newman (Rector)


War Memorial Inscription
The men of the parish of Husbands Bosworth who gave their lives in the service of their country.

"When you go home, tell them of us, and say, 'For your tomorrows, we gave our today.'"

The Kohima Epitaph

 


 

ADNITT, Richard Frederick. Pte. Grenadier Guards

BOTT, Cecil. Pte. Royal Fusiliers

STAPLETON-BRETHERTON, Osmond. Lt. 9th Lancers

CONNOR, Frank. Pte. 5th Yorkshire Regiment

CROSS, George William Costo. Pte. Grenadier Guards

GLOVER, Edwin George. Pte. Coldstream Guards

LAW, Charles. Pte. Royal Armoured Corps

MARSH, Arthur Reginald. Pte. 1st Battalion, Yorkshire Regiment

MARTIN, John Thomas. Pte. Warwicksire Regiment

MATTHEWS, Horace William. Cpl. 13th Yorksire Regiment

{joomplu:128}MOORE, Archie. Pte. 2nd Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales Own)

POWELL, Fred. Pte. Royal Armoured Corps

WEST, George. Pte. Sherwood Foresters

WILLIAMSON, Percy. Pte. Grenadier Guards


1939-45

DAWSON, George Ray. Pte. Royal Corps of Signals{joomplu:186 left}

KNIGHT, Frederick Cyril. Pte. Northants Regiment

MOORE, William Archibald. Lance Bom. Royal Artillery


LEE, Rexely H. E. Marine. Royal Marines 1947


A Memorial on the Sanctuary wall of the North Aisle of All Saints Church commemorates two members of the same family. JOHN SHENTON, Captain of Cavalry in the Royalist Army who fought at Naseby and is buried at nearby Barwell, and AUSTIN SHENTON, Captain of His Majesty''s Corps of Engineers, who fought in Flanders and is buried at Amiens. The swords of both are incorporated in the memorial as is the Military Medal of the later soldier.


No further information is available at present for those not highlighted. Contact the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site at www.cwgc.org


{joomplu:187}

Extract from The Market Harborough Mail April 5th 1921

 

HUSBANDS BOSWORTH WAR MEMORIAL

 

IMPRESSIVE UNVEILING CEREMONY

 

 

The weather on Sunday afternoon, when the handsome cross erected by the villagers of Husbands Bosworth to the memory of those who were killed in the Great War, was unveiled and dedicated, was delightfully fine, and a large gathering of parishioners and visitors from neighbouring villages assembled to take part in what proved to be an imposing ceremony. The monument is erected at the entrance to the Churchyard facing the Lutterworth road, and at the base of the Cross the names of those who, to quote the order of service, “for our to-morrows, gave their to-days” were inscribed as follows:

Pte. Adnitt, Frederick,

.. Connor, Frank,

.. West, George,

.. Bott, Cecil,

Corpl. Matthews, Horace William,

Pte. Martin, John Thomas,

.. Cross, William Costo,

Lieut. Stapleton-Bretherton, Osmund,

Pte. Williamson, Percy,

.. Moore, Archie,

.. Marsh, Arthur, Reginald,

.. Powell, Fred,

.. Glover, Edwin,

.. Law, Charles,

The unveiling ceremony was performed by Lieut.-Col. W. V. Faber, R.F.A., and the dedication ceremony was conducted by the Ven. F. B. McNutt, Archdeacon of Leicester, late senior Chaplain to the Forces in the B.E. F., assisted by The Rev. M. Lamb, the Rev. E. P. Groom and the Rev. R. A. Ellis.

The service, the first portion of which was held in the Church, commenced with the hymn “The Saints of God their conflict past”, after which the Rev. E. P. Groom read the lesson from Wisdom iii, 1-9. The choir led the procession to the Cross, and the roll of honour having been read by the Rector, Lieut.-Col. Faber unveiled the memorial. He afterwards gave a very appropriate address. The dedicatory prayers were said by the Archdeacon, following which the hymn “On the resurrection morning” was impressively sung by the large congregation, which included a squad of about 66 ex-Service men. Archdeacon McNutt then gave a very powerful address, and the hymn “or (sic) all the Saints who from their labours rest” was sung. After the closing prayers “The Last Post” and “The Reveille” were sounded by buglers and drummers from the Fleckney troop (Scoutmaster J. Badcock) and the Kibworth troop of Boy Scouts (Scoutmaster E. Smith) under the direction of District Scoutmaster J.T Langley, Market Harborough.