The earliest settlement in the Husbands Bosworth area is a New Stone Age encampment dating from around 3500BC.
The village was recorded in the Domesday book of 1086.
Since then the village has evolved into the thriving community we know today.
If you find any incorrect information or would like further information on any of the subjects within this section please contact us.
The Leicestershire and Northamptonshire Union Canal was to have been the last link between London and the Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire coalfields. The Union Canal, as the new canal became known, was to link the navigable river Soar at Leicester with the river Nene at Northampton, then rising out of the Nene valley to join the Grand Junction Canal at Gayton.
The Historical Society was formed in 1974 by a small group of villagers who shared an interest in local historical and heritage issues. The aim of the group was to record, preserve and protect important aspects of the heritage of Husbands Bosworth and the surrounding area.
The Society meets on the first Wednesday of each month from September to May in the Church Hall, Honeypot Lane, Husbands Bosworth. Speakers on subjects of local interest are invited to address the meetings.
During the summer months the Society usually organises a day-visit to an interesting venue. In July a Garden Party is held in the village as a social event for members and friends.
Since 1977, the Historical Society has published occasional booklets under the Bygone Bosworth title, which include articles about the social and cultural history of Husbands Bosworth.
A brief description of the contents of each issue is available to view on-line at www.husbandsbosworth.info
The Society holds a vast collection of archive material and artefacts of local historical interest. An early bonus was the acquisition of a vast amount of artefacts, photographs and other memorabilia relating to the Marsh family, which eventually formed the core of the Archive Collection, which is stored in the Archive Room in the Turville Memorial Hall. The information available includes a large number of photographs of village people and village scenes from modern times and back to about 1860. A collection of larger artefacts is kept in the Chapel of Rest in the village’s Welford Road Cemetery.
The Archive Collection also contains a large amount of documentary information relating to local people, businesses, the churches, the school, activity groups and village properties, which is especially useful for family history researchers.
Annual Subscriptions are due at the first Society meeting in September.
Subscription fee: £12 per person
Mrs. Frances Smith
10 Butt Lane
Lutterworth LE17 6LN
Telephone: 01858 880225
Telephone: 01858 880281
7 Cherry Tree Close
Husbands Bosworth LE17 6NB
Tel: 01858 880026
There are a number of "poor" charities associated with Husbands Bosworth. The poor charities originated in the Middle Ages for the purposes of supporting the poor and destitute of the village; sums of money were distributed, usually based on a "dividend" arising from the rent of land or money held as investments.
Page 3 of 5