All denominations of the Christian faith are catered for in Husbands Bosworth. On this page we look at the Non-conformist Ministry in the village.
HUSBANDS BOSWORTH METHODIST CHAPEL
Welford Road, Husbands Bosworth
Although several non-conformist sects are recorded in Husbands Bosworth during the 17th and 18th centuries by the early 19th century only two denominations persisted; the Methodists and the Particular Baptists. The former used the chapel at 'Little Zion', next door to 27 High Street, which may be 'the Chapel of Nathaniel Shenton' registered in 1808, but this was abandoned in 1913 when the present chapel on Welford Road was built.
Husbands Bosworth is part of the Market Harborough Methodist circuit. Other churches in the circuit are Naseby, Kibworth and Market Harborough. The congregation of about 10-13 people worships every Sunday at 6.30 pm.
A sect of Particular Baptists was founded in Husbands Bosworth in 1793 following a disagreement with the new pastor at Arnesby where they had customarily worshipped. After a further difference of opinion with the Independents in Bosworth, the Baptists purchased a barn, possibly in Berridges Lane. The sect erected a permanent place of worship in 1807, when a chapel was built in Berridges Lane, presumably on the site of the barn which was demolished.
The Victoria History of the County of Leicestershire, 1964 notes the chapel as: "...a plain building of red brick with burnt headers and round-headed windows". The notable architectural commentator, Niklaus Pevsner, describes Husbands Bosworth Baptist Chapel as being constructed with chequered brickwork, hipped roof and arched windows. It was altered and refitted internally in the second half of the 19th century, and on the west wall were two plaques to former resident ministers, Michael Stone (1812-69) and Richard Lowe (d. 1904). A manse was erected in about 1825 to the side of the chapel. A school room was built over the former burial ground in 1905.
The Baptist Chapel lives on, in part, today. At the time that the building was being demolished the stalwarts of the Foxton Inclined Plane Trust were on the look-out for period cast iron window frames for their faithful reconstruction of the former steam boilerhouse, which was destined to become the Trust's museum building at the Middle Lock, Foxton Locks. When the boat lift was dismantled by the Grand Union Canal Company the redundant boilerhouse windows were removed and re-used in their Tring Pump House in Bedfordshire. Someone noted that the chapel windows were very similar and available and they were duly incorporated into the Trust's museum building.